Wednesday 13 March 2013

20 weeks and counting- a life to be protected.

So I am half way through! A scary thought, in 20 weeks I will be be able to hold my baby for the first time! Argh, I don't even know what babies need. Milk, warmth and love, right?! Hopefully the hubby and I will have it sussed by then.
This mile stone got be thinking, what if I changed my mind? I can completely understand why women is situations different to mine would consider it. I've had to suspend my Master's degree for a year, have  to take maternity leave (which I only get because I'm on a permanent contract) and my body is doing crazy things. The lack of control I feel over my own body is a real struggle, everyday I look in the mirror and my tummy has grown, my face is chubbier and my breasts are swollen (no complaints from Boy there!) Although this pregnancy is wanted and welcome, I really did not anticipate how much I would struggle with the changes to my body. And, it's only going to get worse. During the spring I would usually love getting my spring dresses out but now, due to the lack of any waistline, I'm stuck in drab pregnancy clothes.
Obviously the reasons women chose to abort are more complicated and far less shallow than their waistline and spring dresses, but I do think that the complete lack of control over her own body is a key issue. I can totally understand why a woman would feel utterly overwhelmed- I do.
So, I'm 20 weeks, it's pretty obvious I'm pregnant. This photo I pretty close to my belly size.


What if I wanted to opt out now? Well, I have another four weeks to decide. Perhaps it isn't clear to supporters of abortion how far gone I actually am.
My baby is the size of my hand:

I can feel my baby move, this has been occurring for almost a month now. The movements are so strong that my husband can feel them when he holds my belly.
It's mental! Research suggests that my baby can even hear and recognise my voice (poor thing, I do talk a lot of nonsense!)
When I was prochoice I viewed a foetus as just a clump of cells, a special clump but a clump nonetheless. Now, as a mother, I am totally convicted that this child in me is a life to be protected. 



 Katie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment